Canada is known for its diverse and delicious cuisine, and food lovers planning a trip in 2023 will have plenty of delicious dishes to choose from. Here are 10 dishes that are considered to be among the best in Canada:
- Poutine: Originating from Quebec, Poutine is a classic Canadian dish that consists of French fries topped with cheese curds and gravy. It’s a simple dish but it’s one of the most popular and delicious in Canada.
- Maple Syrup: Maple syrup is one of Canada’s most iconic food products. It’s used in a variety of dishes, from pancakes and waffles to meats and sauces. It’s a must-try for any visitors.
- Nanaimo Bars: Nanaimo Bars is a classic Canadian dessert that is made up of three layers: a crumbly crust, a creamy filling, and a chocolate topping. It’s a delicious treat that originated in the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia.
- Butter Tarts: These flaky pastries are filled with a sweet and gooey filling, typically made from butter, sugar, and eggs. They are a popular Canadian treat, often found at bakeries and farmers’ markets.
- Smoked Salmon: Canada is known for its excellent seafood, and smoked salmon is one of the country’s most popular dishes. It’s often served as an appetizer, but it can also be served as a main course.
- Bannock: Bannock is a traditional Indigenous dish that is made from flour, baking powder, and water. It’s often served with butter or jam, and it’s a staple food in many First Nations communities.
- Montreal-style bagels: Montreal-style bagels are different than the bagels that you might find in other parts of the world. They are smaller, sweeter, and denser than New York-style bagels. They are often made with honey and malt and are boiled in sweetened water before they are baked.
- Tourtière: Tourtière is a savory meat pie that is popular in Quebec. It’s typically made with ground pork or beef, and it’s often served with ketchup or gravy.
- Fish Tacos: Fish tacos are a popular dish in Canada, especially on the west coast. They are typically made with beer-battered fish, and topped with shredded cabbage, and salsa.
- Canadian Craft Beer: Canadian craft beer is becoming increasingly popular in recent years, and visitors to Canada should try out the local brews. There are many small and independent breweries across the country that are producing unique and delicious beers.
It’s worth noting that this is a small selection of the many delicious dishes available in Canada and that regional and seasonal specialties are also worth exploring. It’s always recommended to try new things and explore the local food scene when traveling.